Johnny Can Spell Workshop
Integrating phonemic awareness, phonics, handwriting, and spelling...
This two day workshop can be a first step to incorporating Johnny Can Spell as a component of a language arts program, or it can be an opportunity to increase teacher knowledge and instructional strategies to supplement an adopted program or to incorporate during tiered instruction. After reviewing a framework for literacy, training focuses on the knowledge base and practice routines that support development of both encoding and decoding skills. This fast-paced training includes hands-on experiences and video clips of classrooms in action. Participants are engaged as both learners and teachers.
Target grades: K through 5.
"I'm surprised at how simple lessons in phonics can go a long way with students."
"Wow! Phonics finally makes sense to me. I have learned so much in these two days.
Thank you, Alice Nine!"
"Since implementing JCS, our kindergarten and first grade teachers have
seen a dramatic improvement in handwriting."
"Attending Alice Nine's training revolutionized my classroom.
All my second graders leave as solid readers."
Participants will learn how to
- Integrate instruction for oral and written skills
- Teach students how to sound out words
- Present sound-symbol relationships explicitly and systematically
- Bridge phonics to writing
- Analyze words for vocabulary building and spelling
- Teach handwriting skills with phonics for multi-sensory learning
- Johnny Can Spell Teacher's Guide
- Classroom Phonogram Card Set
- Practicing the Phonograms with Alice Nine (audio CD)
- Lesson Planner Book 1:1 and
Lesson Planner Book 1:2 (1st grade)
- Lesson Planner Book 2:1 and
Lesson Planner Book 2:2 (2nd grade)
- Lesson Planner Book 3:1 and
Lesson Planner Book 3:2 (3rd grade)
- Word Analyses Book Four (4th grade)
- Word Analyses Book Five (5th grade)